By 1919 the management announced a remodeling program and had it well underway when, at the height of the season, August 1921, a fire destroyed the hotel, the annex and the dormitory for the Chinese kitchen crew. As the result of remarkable efforts and cooperation, breakfast was served to guests and employees in an improvised dining hall, and business was continued as nearly possible as usual. Reconstruction was begun and present 200 room hotel was to have its formal opening in May 1924, when another fire destroyed the barns, garaged, the stage and service buildings, thus delaying the reopening until September. By then resort had taken on much of its present appearance, though terracing, reconstruction of the spring plaza and bathhouse and other projects went steadily along through several years.
In the course of this work the residence of Redman and Alice Richardson was built. It still stands. The home of Lee and Jean Richardson was built on the site of Mudd Creek House, which had been built in 1875 for the arrival of the parents of the Richardson Brothers.
The business thrived and at one time an offer of $1,000,000 was quickly declined. The depression days affected the resort business, but the resort remained open all year round. World War II, with its shortages, disruptions and regulations took a heavy toll. The Springs had long time been famous for its facilities for conventions, lodge meetings, fraternity and sorority parties and similar affairs: hundreds of participants having fond memories of those days. Baseball clubs came here for winter training, notably the Detroit Tigers. It was also widely known as a place to go for a dinner out, as the food provided by the Chinese chef, Ah kay, and his crew was excellent, the atmosphere informal, homey and relaxed. The drive of a few miles onto the hills was transportation away from the business, worries, heat; whatever needed escaping. And, at the Springs, one was certain to meet someone he knew and a visit.
Time brought changes. Age, accidents and deaths brought about changes in the management. In 1937, Harry Mulock, well-liked assistant manager for many years, left for an investment in business of his own at Challenge, California. His position was filled by John Parks, and, after a few years, he was succeeded by Ned Richardson, oldest son of Lee. The owner, J.H. Richardson, passed on in 1938, leaving ownership to his wife, Alice and nephew, Lee.
It was found advisable to incorporate under the title Richardson Mineral Springs, Inc., Lee being president, and Alice, vice president. In 1945, upon the death of Lee, Alice became president, Ned vice president and general manager. LeeÕs younger son, Robert L. (Bob) Richardson became vice president and manager of Richardson Cattle and Land Co., a subsidiary. Alice was the active head of the concerns until her death in 1957, though totally disabled during the last two years. Ned and Bob continued the operation, personally managing the hotel and resort, while the active aid of their wives, Lucian and Kay.
However, World War II with its shortages, disruptions and regulations took a heavy toll. The changes this period brought about in living conditions and especially in travel and vacation concepts, had disturbing effects upon resort businesses in general, certainly including that of Richardson Springs. It became unfeasible to remain open during the winter months. Even the gates were locked because of liability insurance costs. In time it was made known that the Springs were for sale, but years passed before an interested buyer was found.
A religious group, interested in establishing a non-denominational meeting ground for conventions and retreats, took a lease in 1968 with a right to purchase after a year, which they exercised in 1969 when Richardson Springs passed into the hands of Springs of Living Water, Inc. Ned Richardson passed away 17 March 1970. Bob lives in semi-retirement at Palm Springs.